Minor Injuries

The way you access a Minor Injury Unit has changed.  NHS Grampian have moved all Minor Injury services across Moray to Dr Grays Hospital in Elgin and this can be accessed by calling 111.  You must book an appointment prior to your visit which avoids people gathering in the unit whilst they await treatment.  How to use a Minor Injury Unit:

  • Please call 111
  • Your injury will be assessed
  • Where necessary an appointment will be made for you
  • Attend your appointment at the Minor Injury Unit

Injuries treated at a Minor Injury Unit include cuts, small burns, sprains, suspected broken bones.  If your injury is less severe, please consider other options available.  These include accessing advice/medicine from your local pharmacy or making an appointment at your GP practice.  For more information on care options, visit

In an emergency, you should still call 999 or go to your nearest Emergency Department.

Sick Notes

You do not require a sick note for absences of less than 7 days. If your employer insists on having one, there is a charge for this. Sick notes for absences of more than 7 days can be obtained during consultation with your Doctor.

Ambulance Transport

If you are attending a hospital appointment and need transport on medical grounds but are unable to make your own transport arrangements, please call the Scottish Ambulance Service Direct Patient Booking Number 0300 1231 236 at least 2 working days before your appointment.

Non NHS Services

The following are among the services that are not covered by the NHS for which you will be asked to pay a fee.

  • HGV/PSV Medicals
  • Pre-employment Medicals
  • Private Health Insurance Claim Forms
  • Sports Medicals.

NHS 24

Tel: 111 (Free to dial number)
NHS 24 if a confidential telephone health advice and information service provided by nurses and designed to meet your needs whatever the time of day or night. Advisers are highly experienced and fully qualified nurses. They will ask you about your symptoms and assess their nature and how severe they are. They will then advise you on the next steps that you should take. This may involve treating the symptoms yourself, visiting the pharmacist or Doctor or, in more serious situations, advising you to go to an Accident and Emergency Unit. The web-site address for NHS 24 is

Interpreting Services

NHS Grampian has access to local interpreters who can speak a range of languages. Please ask at reception if you require more information.

Services we provide under contract to the NHS

We provide a wide range of services including:-

  • Baby Clinic
  • Chronic Disease Management Clinics
  • District Nurse
  • Cervical Cytology
  • Immunisation
  • Child Health Surveillance
  • Maternity Medical Services
  • Contraceptive Services
  • Minor Surgery
  • In- house INR Testing

Contact your doctors online

Fill out a simple online form to ask for advice and treatment from your GP. To use this service you must be a patient of VARIS MEDICAL PRACTICE (Dr Kelly, Dr Neison, Dr Clarke, Dr Marshall, Dr Munro, Dr Pecchia, Dr Crawford, Dr Reeves).